The thoughts of keith ... brace yourself

Monday, December 12, 2005

Tribute to a great man


Richard Pryor 1940 - 2005

Saturday, the world lost a comedic genius. Anyone that has ever stood in front of an audience with a mic and told a joke, owes this man for setting the path. From Eddie Murphy to Chris Rock, Richard Pryor set the bar so high that others can only reach with their fingertips.

Today's comic use profanity for shock value. Richard Pryor used it for shock, but from the shock came a realization and thought through laughter.

When I was in Africa, this voice came to me and said, "Richard, what do you
see?" I said, I see all types of people." The voice said, "But do you see
any
niggers?" I said, "No." It said, "Do you know why? 'Cause there aren't
any.

Richard Pryor was an excellent story teller. When he retold the story of his accident, you were laughing even though it was a tragic event. That was the magic Richard Pryor. As kids, me and my older cousin would sneak in the back room during family gatherings and listen to his old albums, silently snickering at every joke. One of the greatest gifts my mother ever gave me was a collection of his cassettes one summer. I would go out on my great grandparent's porch and listen to him over and over again. It never got old.

So in remembrance of Richard Pryor, focus only on the laughter. In the words of his character Mudbone, "... get some sunshine on your face."

1 Comments:

  • Richard Pryor will be missed and he did pave the way for many comics. Given his background (he grew up in a brothel- his grandmother was the madame and his mother was a prostitute)it is amazing that he was able to find humor as one of his outlets. One of my favorite all-time
    "autobiographical" movies is Jo Jo Dancer Your Life Is Calling. Talk about keeping it real! I have heard that comedian Mike Epps is going to be portraying Richard Pryor in an upcoming feature film based on Pryor's life. Not that I don't like Epps, but based on the ticket sales for his upcoming performance at Universal, the producers might want to rethink their pick for the star role! Production has yet to start, so they better keep the options open. But that's just my opinion.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home